Like OnePlus 3, its brother OnePlus 3T is also a developer friendly device. Tech-savvy users can easily unlock bootloader, install TWRP recovery, and root their OnePlus 3T, but with caution. In addition, unlocking the bootloader of OnePlus 3T will not void warranty, wiping the data though. Also, note that since OnePlus 3T stock boot image has dm-verity, you will not able to flash TWRP recovery straightway.
There are various purposes for unlocked bootloader, TWRP custom recovery and root access on OnePlus 3T. Installing custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, better utilizing its massive 6GB RAM, boost battery life, back up the entire system, etc. are some of the main reasons.
Note that the below steps will wipe all of the data you have on your OnePlus 3T, so be sure to back up any necessary information first.
Also, note that the TWRP recovery mentioned below is not an official version. It is a modified version by the XDA contributor jcadduono.
Warning: Though unlocking bootloader of OnePlus 3T will not void warranty, there is no guarantee for it, so do it at your own risk.
– You need to install OnePlus 3T drivers on your computer
– ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer (You may follow this guide)
– Backup any important data you have on the phone
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Unlock OnePlus 3T bootloader
1. Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock option: To do so, go to Settings > About Phone > tap Build Number 7 times to enable Developer options. From Developer options, enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
2. Connect your phone to PC, go to the ADB installation directory (C:/ADB) and open a command window from there (shift + right click anywhere within that folder, select open command prompt here) and issue the below command:
adb reboot bootloader
3. Your device will boot into fastboot mode. Now, issue the below command:
[It should list your device. If not, install proper driver on your computer]
4. Now issue the below command to unlock the bootloader (it will wipe your phone completely)
fastboot oem unlock
You have now unlocked your OP3T’s bootloader. You can check it by issuing the command: fastboot oem device-info.
TWRP Recovery Installation Instruction for OnePlus 3T
1. Enable USB debugging in Developer options
3. Go to ADB installation folder, open a command window from there and issue following commands one-by-one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot boot twrp.img
4. The last command will boot your phone into TWRP recovery.
Follow below steps WITHOUT leaving TWRP recovery to root OnePlus 3T.
How to Root OnePlus 3T
1. In TWRP recovery screen, select your Language, then tap on ‘Never show this screen on boot again’ and Swipe to allow modification.
2. Download latest ‘dm-verity and forced encryption disabler’ for OnePlus 3T from here
3. Now, without leaving TWRP, transfer the ‘no-verity-opt-encrypt zip’ file (you have downloaded earlier) to your device over MTP and flash it (use Install option) in TWRP.
4. Now, select ‘Wipe’ in TWRP, tap ‘Format Data’ and then type ‘yes’ (If you want to mount internal storage).
5. Download the latest version of SuperSU by Chainfire from here
6. Without exiting TWRP, transfer the SuperSU zip to your device over MTP and flash it (use Install option) in TWRP.
7 Finally, reboot your device (Go to Reboot > System).
Your OnePlus 3T is now rooted. To verify, look for the SuperSU app in the app drawer. More details and discussion at the source XDA.