OnePlus 3 is a brand new flagship killer running on the Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 under the Oxygen UI. This beautiful device brings unsettled performance to users with great hardware specs and features. However, tech-savvy users may need to unlock bootloader, install TWRP recovery, and root their OnePlus 3 for various purposes, like installing custom ROMs, better utilize its massive 6GB RAM, boost battery life and more.
In this guide, we show you how to unlock bootloader, install TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 3. Before proceeding with below steps, please note that it will wipe all of the data you have on your OnePlus 3, so be sure to back up any necessary information first, and follow the below simple guide.
Warning: Though unlocking bootloader of OnePlus 3 will not void warranty, there is no guarantee for it, so do it at your own risk. Also, it will wipe your device completely.Backup any data before unlocking the bootloader
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
– You need to install OnePlus 3 drivers on your computer
– ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer (You may follow this guide)
– Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock option: To do so, go to Settings -> About Phone -> tap Build Number 7 times to enable Developer options. From Developer options, enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
Unlock OnePlus 3 bootloader
1. Connect your phone to PC, go to the ADB installation directory (
C:/ADB) and open a command window from there (shift + right click anywhere within that folder, select open command prompt here)
2. Enter your device into fastboot mode and unlock bootloader by issuing the below commands one by one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
3. Once the process is completed, your phone will reboot automatically. Note that the process will completely wipe your phone.
TWRP Recovery Installation Instruction for OnePlus 3
1. Download TWRP Recovery image file [HERE] (This is a unofficial TWRP recovery)
2. Rename the downloaded image file to twrp.img and copy it to the folder where the ADB is installed.
3. Connect your OnePlus 3 to your computer.
4. Open command window from ADB folder (Press Shift key, right click and select ‘open command window here’) and issue the following commands one by one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
5. Wait for the process to finish, then issue below command to reboot your phone:
TWRP recovery is now installed on your OnePlus 3.
Instruction for Rooting OnePlus 3
1. Download the SuperSU zip file [HERE] and move it to your OnePlus 3 internal memory.
2. Boot your device into the TWRP Recovery mode (to do so, turn off the phone off then press and hold volume down + power buttons).
3. Tap on “Install” and select the SuperSU zip file that you transferred to your device.
4. Wait until the flash is complete and then select reboot to our phone.
Your OnePlus 3 is now rooted. To verify, look for the SuperSU app in the app drawer (source – XDA)