OnePlus 2 is an affordable flagship killer running on the Android 5.1 Lollipop (Oxygen UI). This great device brings new features and unsettled performance to users. However, tech-savvy users may need unlocked bootloader, custom recovery like TWRP, and root access on OnePlus 2 for various purposes.
In this guide, we show you how to unlock bootloader, install TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 2. Before you get start, please note that the below method will cause you to lose all of the data from your phone, so be sure to back up any necessary information first, and follow below simple guide and enjoy all benefits of rooting and advantages of custom recovery on your OnePlus 2.
About OnePlus 2: Called ‘Flagship Killer of 2016’ OnePlus 2 runs on the OxygenOS 2 (Android 5.1) and powers a Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor with 3GB/4GB of RAM. It has a 5.5-inch (1080×1920) LTPS display with Gorilla Glass 4 protection, 13MP rear camera, 16GB/64GB storage capacity and 3300mAh battery. It is available on the Indian market at an affordable Rs 24,999 price tag (64GB version).
Unlock Bootloader, Install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 2
Warning: According to OnePlus, unlocking and rooting OnePlus 2 will not void warranty; however do at your own risk. Backup every data on your phone before proceeding.
– You need to install OnePlus 2 drivers on your computer
– ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer (You may follow this guide)
– Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock option: To do so, go to Settings -> About Phone -> tap Build Number 7 times to enable Developer options. From Developer options, enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
Unlock OnePlus 2 bootloader
1. Connect your phone to PC and open a command window inside the ADB folder.
2. Enter your device into fastboot mode and unlock bootloader by issuing the below commands one by one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
3. Once the process is completed, your phone will reboot automatically. Note that the process will completely wipe your phone.
TWRP Recovery Installation Instruction for OnePlus 2
1. Download TWRP Recovery image file [HERE]
2. Rename the downloaded image file to twrp.img and copy it to the folder where the ADB is installed.
3. Connect your OnePlus 2 to your computer.
4. Open command window from ADB folder (Press Shift key, right click and select ‘open command window here’) and issue the following commands one by one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
5. Wait for the process to finish, then issue below command to reboot your phone:
TWRP recovery is now installed on your OnePlus 2.
Instruction for Rooting OnePlus 2
1. Download the SuperSU zip file [HERE] and move it to your OnePlus 2 internal memory.
2. Boot your device into the TWRP Recovery mode (to do so, turn off the phone off then press and hold volume down + power buttons).
3. Tap on “Install” and select the SuperSU zip file that you transferred to your device.
4. Wait until the flash is complete and then select reboot to our phone.
Your OnePlus 2 is now rooted. To verify, look for the SuperSU app in the app drawer (source)