LG officially supports bootloader unlock for the LG G5 H850 (European variant), which means you can gain root access and install custom recovery like TWRP on LG G5. Custom recovery and root access give enormous opportunities to tech-savvy users. You can customize your LG G5 as per your needs, install custom ROMs, and do various other things.
In this guide, we show you how to unlock bootloader, install TWRP recovery and root LG G5 H850. The LG G5 is the latest flagship by the company, which follows a new design language and featuring modular design, Always-On display and Optimus UX 5.0 UI. Running on the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, it features Snapdragon 820 SoC with 4GB RAM, 16 MP rear camera and 5.3-inch QHD display.
Prerequisites for unlocking bootloader, installing TWRP recovery and get root access on LG G5 H850 (European Variant):
1. USB driver for LG G5 H850 installed on your PC (Download here)
2. ADB and Fastboot driver installed on the PC (Read this guide)
3. TWRP recovery for LG G5 (Download here)
4. SuperSU2.65.zip (Download here)
Warning: Before get start, do remember that though LG officially lets you unlock LG G5’s bootloder, it will void your device’s warranty. Also, it will wipe your device completely, so back up all data you have on your phone before proceeding.
Disclaimer: This guide is for advanced users only. We will not take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. Also note that the below method only supports LG G5 H850 European variant only.
1. Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging on LG G5. To do so, go to your phone Settings > About Phone > Software Info > tap Build Number multiple times to enable Developer Options. In Developer Options, enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.
2. Now, go to LG Developer website [HERE] and follow the instruction to unlock your LG G5 bootloader.
1. Download official TWRP recovery for LG G5 [See above link]
2. Enable “USB Debugging” and “OEM Unlock” on your device in Developer Options.
3. Copy and paste the TWRP recovery image inside the ADB installation folder.
4. Connect your device to your PC and open a command window inside the ADB installation folder (press Shift key, right click and select open command window here option)
5. Now, issue the below commands one by one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-h850.img
6. Once done, you need to boot into TWRP recovery. To do so, unplug your phone from PC and remove battery from the phone. Reinsert battery, press and hold Volume down & Power button together. When LG logo appeared, go of the power button then quickly press it again (never letting go of volume down). Keep holding until you see the Factory Reset screen. Click through the factory reset screens, clicking Yes….
1. Download Chainfire’s SuperSU zip file [See above link] and save it on your device
2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume down & Power button together.
3. In recovery, tap install, select the SuperSU zip file and swipe right to confirm the action.
4. Once done, reboot your LG G5.
You have now successfully rooted your LG G5. Any question, leave it in the comment section below. (Source – XDA)