TWRP custom recovery and root access on a bootloader unlocked Huawei Honor 5X gives various possibilities to tech-savvy users. Install a new build of the Android OS with different features, remove manufacture’s bloatware apps from the phone, and add extra functions, backup entire phone, etc. are few examples. However, note that it may impact secure functions like the ability to use Android Pay, lose warranty, so, as always, proceed with caution.
Before you begin to install TWRP custom recovery and enable root access on Huawei Honor 5X (KIW-L24), you must unlock the bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader wipes your phone completely and loses manufacturer’s warranty. So, back up any important data on your phone and then proceed with caution.
About Huawei Honor 5X: This is a mid-range smartphone, which features a 5.5 Inch (1080 by 1920 pixels) LCD display, Fingerprint scanner, 1.5 GHz Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 616 processor, 2GB/3GB RAM, 16GB Internal memory (expandable up to 128GB), 13 MP back camera and 5MP front camera for Selfies. Runs on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, the dual SIM Honor 5X is powered by a 3000 mAh non-removable battery.
a) ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer. If not, install the ‘Minimal ADB and Fastboot in seconds’ (refer this guide)
b) ADB driver for Honor 5X installed on the PC. If not, refer this guide.
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.Do not proceed unless you have a reason to root your Honor 5X
IMPORTANT: It will wipe your phone completely and lose warranty. Backup every data before proceeding.
[To get the product identification code, dial
* # * # 1357946 # * # * in the phone dialer]
2. Now you have the unlock code. Enable ‘OEM Unlock’ and ‘USB Debugging’ on your phone. To do so, go to Setting -> About -> tap Build Number 7 times to unlock the Developer Option, then go back to the Developer options and enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.
3. Connect your phone to PC and go to the Minimal ADB installation folder. Open a command window there (Shift key + right click) and issue the below command:
adb reboot bootloader
4. Once it boot into the bootloader, issue the following command:
fastboot oem unlock 2062712452147427 (change the unlock code 2062712452147427 to yours)
5. Reboot your phone. You have now successfully unlocked the bootloader.
1. Enable USB Debugging on your phone (Go To Setting -> About -> tap Build Number 7 times to unlock the Developer Option, then go back to Developer options and enable USB Debugging)
2. Download TWRP recovery for Honor 5X (Kiwi) [HERE] and rename the file to ‘recovery.img’.
3. Copy ‘recovery.img’ to Minimal ADB installation folder
4. Turn off your phone, hold ‘Volume Down + Power’ to boot into fastboot mode.
5. Connect your phone to your PC with a USB cable
6. Go to Minimal ADB folder and open a command window there (Shift key + right click and select run command here option)
7. Issue the below commands one by one:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
1. Download ‘BETA-SuperSU-v2.67.zip’ [HERE] and copy it to your phone’s internal storage.
2. Turn off the phone and boot into TWRP recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons together.
3. In TWRP Recovery, tap Install and navigate to “BETA-SuperSU-v2.67.zip” Swipe right to install.
4. Once installed, reboot your phone. (Source – XDA)