Released in November 2015, the mid-range OnePlus X has great specs and features, but if you are an Android fanatic who want to run certain apps that requires root access, install custom ROMs, backup/restore the system, etc. need unlocked bootloader, root access and a custom recovery on it, though it involves certain risks.
In this guide, we will explain how to unlock bootloader, install TWRP custom recovery and root OnePlus X. The TWRP recovery mentioned here is an unofficial build (official build yet to be released by Teamwin), but most things are working fine. The process is quite simple, all you need to setup ADB and fastboot drivers on your computer and downloads few files.
About OnePlus X: Running on the OxygenOS 2 (Android 5.1.1), the OnePlus X powers a Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 3GB of RAM. It has a 5-inch AMOLED display with Gorilla Glass 3 protection, 13MP rear camera, 8MP front camera, 16GB storage capacity with 128 GB expansion slot (uses SIM 2 slot) and 2525-mAh battery. It is available on the Indian market at an affordable Rs. 16,999 price tag (Onyx version).
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Though we are putting our level best to provide this tutorial at its maximum perfection and accuracy, we can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only
Warning: Unlocking and rooting OnePlus X may void your device’s warranty. Do at your own risk. Unlocking will wipe your device completely, so backup every data on your phone before proceeding.
– You need to install OnePlus X drivers on your computer, download [HERE]
– ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer (You may follow this guide)
– Enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock option: To do so, go to Settings -> About Phone -> tap Build Number 7 times to enable Developer options. From Developer options, enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
How to Unlock OnePlus X Bootloader
1. Connect your phone to PC and open a command window (Press Shift key, right click and select ‘open command window here’) inside the ADB folder.
2. Enter your device into fastboot mode and unlock bootloader by issuing the below commands one by one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
3. Select ‘YES’ on your phone screen using power button. Once the process is completed, your phone will reboot automatically.
Important: The process will completely wipe your phone, so do not forget to backup data on your phone.
How to Install TWRP Custom Recovery on OnePlus X
1. Download TWRP Recovery image (unofficial) file [HERE]
2. Rename the downloaded image file to twrp.img and copy it to the folder where the ADB is installed.
3. Connect your OnePlus X to your computer.
4. Open command window from ADB folder (Press Shift key, right click and select ‘open command window here’) and issue the following commands one by one:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
5. Wait for the process to finish, then issue below command to reboot your phone:
TWRP recovery is now installed on your OnePlus X.
How to Root OnePlus X
1. Download the SuperSU zip file [HERE] and move it to your OnePlus X internal memory.
2. Boot your device into the TWRP Recovery mode (to do so, turn off the phone off then press and hold volume down + power buttons).
3. Tap on “Install” and select the SuperSU zip file that you transferred to your device.
4. Once done, select Wipe and wipe Cache partition and Dalvik Cache.
5. Wait until the flash is complete and then select reboot to boot your phone.
Your OnePlus X is now rooted. To verify, look for the SuperSU app in the app drawer (source)