In this guide, we show you how to unbrick a bricked ZenFone 3 ZE520KL and ZE552KL by restoring bootloader and latest version of stock firmware. Installing custom recovery like TWRP, custom ROM, custom kernel and getting root are fine, but sometimes these will brick your device leaving it a non-booting system. Also, as these process damages the bootloader, it is hard to recover.
However, you do not need to worry. You can unbrick your bricked Asus ZenFone 3 by following the instruction given below. All are explained well and supports both ZenFone 3 ZE520KLL and ZE552 KL variants. The following guide requires stock Recovery image and Boot image for ZenFone 3, Stock firmware and ZenFone 3 Rootkit.
Please note that, the unbricking process is lengthy and not simple. Read the guide first and then proceed with the steps. Also, you should have knowledge on ADB and Fastboot commands. We have provided everything in detail.
– Download [here] Zenfone 3 ZE520KL latest Stock Firmware from Asus
– Download [here] Zenfone 3 ZE552KL latest Stock Firmware from Asus
[After downloading the firmware, put it inside your SD card, and then insert the SD card in your phone]
– Download [here] ZenFone 3 Rootkit zip file
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
Note: This step is for those who have installed a custom recovery on the phone. If you are on stock recovery, then skip this step.
1. On your computer, unzip the RootKit zip file (it includes fastboot) to a folder. Copy the recovery.img file and boot.img file to that folder.
2. Turn off your ZenFone 3 and boot into Download mode (to do this, press and hold Volume Up + Power Button for 3 seconds).
3. Connect your Zenfone 3 to your PC. Go to the RootKit folder, press Shift key and right-click anywhere on the screen and select ‘Open Command Window here’. For example, see below image.
4. In the command prompt, type the below command to flash stock recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
5. Once done, type below command to flash stock boot image.
fastboot flash boot boot .img
6. After getting successful message, press the Power button on the phone to boot it.
1. Boot your phone into stock recovery (Press and hold Volume Down + Power Button)
2. In Recovery, select ‘Install update from SD card’ (use Volume button to navigate).
3. Select the ROM you downloaded (saved on the SD card) and wait for the installation to finish.
4. After successful installation, go back to Recovery menu and do the following:
Wipe Data Factory Reset
Wipe Cache Partition
5. Finally, reboot your phone.
You have now successfully restored stock firmware and unbricked your ZenFone 3. Leave your views in the comment section below. (Source)