Sony Xperia Z has got first official LineageOS 14.1 build, which brings Android 7.1.2 Nougat, several new features, and latest security patches to the device. If you own Xperia Z (code-named yuga) and looking for a step-by-step guide to install LineageOS 14.1 custom ROM on it, then check out the guide. However, note that your Xperia Z should support unlocking the bootloader. Here is how to check it and install LineageOS on it.
LineageOS 14.1 bring latest Android 7.1.2 Nougat, features like multi-window mode, enhanced notification system, data saver mode, one-handed mode, better battery life, latest security patches and alongside LineageOS native features like night mode, Jelly browser, etc to Xperia Z.
Before start, keep in mind that the status of LineageOS 14.1 for Xperia Z is nightly, so minor bugs are expected. If you are ready to face few issues, then you can install the ROM right away and experience all the features.
As said above, to install the LineageOS, your Xperia Z should allow bootloader unlock. Here is how to check and unlock the bootloader. After unlocking the bootloader, you should install TWRP recovery to flash LineageOS.
How to unlock Xperia Z bootloader: On the device, dial
*#*#7378423#*#* to launch the Service menu. Go to Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status.
– If Bootloader unlock allowed says ‘Yes’, then go here and follow the instruction to unlock the bootloader.
How to Install TWRP recovery: After unlocking bootloader, download TWRP for Xperia Z [HERE] and save it where ADB is installed.
– Connect the device to your PC via USB and issue the command:
adb reboot bootloader.
– Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by issuing the command:
– Now, issue the command ‘
fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-yuga.img’ to flash the TWRP recovery.
Note: Change the TWRP file name accordingly.
How to Install LineageOS 14.1 on Xperia Z
2. Now reboot your device into TWRP. On boot, press Volume Down when the LEDs start lighting up.
3. In TWRP, select the Backup button to create a backup (recommended).
4. Now, select Wipe and then Advanced Wipe. Select Cache, System and Data partitions to be wiped and then Swipe to Wipe.
5. Go back to return to main menu, then select Install. Navigate to LineageOS .zip package and swipe to flash it.
6. Once done, do not reboot the device. Flash Gapps zip file as well and then reboot.
After rebooting, set up your new OS and enjoy. Any question? Leave it in the comment section below. (Source)