It was not possible to achieve root access on Google Pixel and Pixel XL phones until now. This is due to changes in the system internal in both phone and Android 7.1. Now, the renowned developer Chainfire has found a method to root Pixel and Pixel XL, experimental though. Chainfire’s Systemless Root method now supports Pixel and Pixel XL phone and you can install SuperSU v2.78 SR2 to root the phone.
In this guide, we show you how to root Pixel and Pixel XL using Chainfire’s systemless root method. Rooting Pixel and Pixel XL phones are not easy as we did it on Nexus phones, because of the new partition layout (two boots, two systems, two vendors, etc.), and no recovery and cache partitions. It means, the existing rooting method would have required a bit of re-engineering.
You cannot root Pixel and Pixel XL by simply flashing the Super SU. Chainfire has provided CF Auto Root packages for Pixel phones with a modified boot that you need to fastboot boot the boot-to-root image (NOT fastboot flash the image) to gain root.
Before proceeding to root your Pixel or Pixel XL, we recommend you to read more about this root method at this Google+ post by Chainfire.
Note: The below guide requires ADB and Fastboot setup on your PC (refer this guide for details)
Important: Backup whole data you have on your phone before proceeding with the below steps.
Note: This guide is for international variants of Pixel/Pixel XL. For Verizon variant, refer this guide. Also, backup every data before proceeding.
– Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock options on your phone by going to Developer options.
– Connect your phone to your PC and issue the below commands one by one
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flashing unlock
Your Pixel phone’s bootloader is now unlocked. Now you are ready to gain root access on the device.
Warning: This is an experimental method and not yet fully ready to use for all purposes. Rooting your phone should do with extreme care; otherwise you will end-up with a bricked device. Backup whole data you have on your phone before proceeding with the below steps.
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
1. Enable USB debugging on your Pixel phone by going to Developer options
3. Connect your Pixel to the PC and got to folder where you have saved the unzipped root file and open a command window there (Shift + Right click and select Open command window here).
4. Now issue the below commands one by one
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot boot-to-root.img
5. Wait for a few minutes. Your phone will reboot few times during the rooting process.