The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ is a recent flagship from Samsung, however there is good news for users who need development on their Galaxy S8/S8+. The official TWRP custom recovery (twrp-3.1.0) is now available for Galaxy S8/S8+ Exynos variant, which you can install with or without root access. However, note that since Galaxy S8/S8+ use dm-verity check (verified boot) you need to by-pass the check, otherwise your device will not boot.
Official TWRP can be installed on Galaxy S8 and S8+ in a variety of ways. You can use Odin tool to flash TWRP without root access. If your device is rooted, you can use official TWRP app or use adb shell to flash the custom recovery. Check out the guide to know how to install TWRP recovery on Galaxy S8/S8+ via Odin and get root access.
Before get start, note that Galaxy S8/S8+ has verified boot. If you are on stock kernel, swiping to allow system modifications will stop booting the device. You will have to install a custom kernel that has dm-verity disabled in the fstab to bypass this.
The benefits of TWRP recovery and root access are quite a lot. Installing custom ROMs, customizing the device, strip off bloat apps, perform full backup of the phone, etc. are some of the main uses of TWRP recovery and root. However, note that all these will void your device’s warranty and will not get further official OTA software update.
Note: The below guide supports only Galaxy S8 G950F/FD/N/X and Galaxy S8+ G955F/FD/X/N (Exynos vaiants)
Warning: The below guide will void your device warranty. Also, it will wipe your device completely. Backup data you have on the phone before proceeding.
Disclaimer: This guide is for advanced users only. We will not take responsibility for anything that goes wrong.
1. Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging from Developer Options (to enable Developer Options, go to Settings > About Phone > and tap Build number repeatedly).
3. Download the Odin tool [HERE], unzip the zip file and then run the Odin.exe file.
4. Boot your phone into Download mode (Instruction here), then connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable. The ID: COM port should turn into blue and get Added message in Odin.
(If not, install proper driver [download here] on your computer)
5. Now, click AP/PDA tab in Odin and browse the twrp-3.1.0-1-dreamlte.img.tar file.
6. Press and hold Bixby + Volume Up + Power button, and then click ‘Start’ on Odin.
7. Wait for the phone to reboot. Do NOT release Bixby + Volume Up + Power button or you will not reboot into TWRP recovery.
You are now successfully installed TWRP recovery. The next step is disabling the dm-verity check.
8. Once you boot into TWRP recovery, you will ask to allow system modifications (do not swipe right). Select ‘Keep /system RO’.
9. Now, in TWRP recovery, go to ‘Wipe’, then select ‘Format Data’ and perform it.
10. Now, go to Reboot and select Recovery to reboot into TWRP.
11. Now download dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip file [HERE] and move it to your phone over MTP.
12. In TWRP select ‘Install’, navigate to ‘dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip’ and flash it.
13. Finally reboot your Galaxy S8/S8+.
1. Download the Magisk flashable zip file [HERE] and save it on your phone.
2. Boot your phone into TWRP recovery
3. Go to ‘Install’ menu in TWRP, navigate to Magisk zip file and flash it.
4. Reboot your phone and enjoy root access.