Samsung Galaxy J5(SM-J500F) users in India who are waiting for the official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update, there is good news for them. Samsung has started to roll out the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA (over the air) for Galaxy J5 (SM-J500F) in India. If you are unable to install the update via OTA (over the air) for some reason, here is how to download and install the update manually.
In this guide we show you how to update Samsung Galaxy J5(SM-J500F) to Marshmallow manually. The update comes with updated TouchWiz UI with enhanced usability, various new features like Now on Tap, Doze Mode, New App Permissions, latest Android security patches (patch level June) and performance improvements.
Before get start, please note that the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow file given below is only for Indian Galaxy J5 SM-J500F. Do not try it on other variants. Also, as the OTA update is rolling out in phases, it will take few days to reach the update notification on your J5. However, if you have any trouble updating via OTA (over the air), follow the instruction below to update manually.
Manually Update Samsung Galaxy J5(SM-J500F) to Marshmallow
a) Your J5 should be on stock firmware and stock recovery (not TWRP)
b) The below given method is for Indian Galaxy J5 SM-J500F only (Do not try on other variant)
c) Samsung USB drivers installed on your Windows PC
d) Back up any data you have on the phone before proceeding with below steps
e) Full battery charge (at least 80%) on the phone
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
1. Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware for Galaxy J5 SM-J500F [HERE] (1.11GB)
2. Download Odin tool (v3.11.1) zip file [HERE]
3. Unzip both firmware and Odin Tool (use 7-zip)
4. Run the Odin.exe on your PC
5. Now, on your phone, enable USB Debugging in Settings menu, and then boot it into Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
6. Once you enter into Download Mode, connect your phone to PC. You should see ID: COM port turned blue and Added message in Odin window. If not, install proper driver for your device. Also, try a good USB cable.
7. In Odin, make sure Re-partition is NOT ticked (tick only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time check boxes, see below screenshot for example)
8. Select AP in Odin and choose the firmware file (with .tar extension) you have unzipped.
9. If everything OK, click the Start button, sit back and wait few minutes. Once the Pass message appeared in Odin, reboot your phone.
Note: In case you get a Fail message, repeat all the procedure carefully and ensure that you have downloaded correct firmware.
Enjoy Android Marshmallow and its new features on your Galaxy J5. Any doubt, leave it in the comment section below.