Motorola has started to roll out Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for 2nd Gen Moto X XT1095 (2014) in the U.S, Canada, Brazil, India and the U.K. Users will receive the OTA update notification on their device in the coming days. If you did not get the Android 6.0 OTA update notification on your Moto X for some reasons, you can manually apply the update.
In this guide, we will show you how to update 2nd Gen Moto X 2014 (XT1095) to Android 6.0 Marshmallow manually. Thanks to Reddit user rozboris for the official Marshmallow 6.0 OTA ZIP file, which you can install manually via stock recovery.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow update brings various new features to Moto X 2014. Marshmallow’s key feature Google Now on Tap, Doze battery saving, personalized app permission and new volume controls are few of them. This update also includes bug fixes and various optimizations.
Note: To apply the Marshmallow OTA update manually on 2nd Gen Moto X 2014, your phone should be on Android 5.1. Also, your Moto X 2014 should be on stock recovery (not TWRP).
Disclaimer: Follow the guide at your own risk. We will not be responsible for any damage that occurs. The guide is intended for technically talented users only.
1. Check your system version by going to Settings -> About phone. It should be
23.16.6.victara_tmo.tmo.en.US. This update will not work on other system versions. This update will update your device to system version
3. Reboot your Moto X 2014 into recovery mode. To do so, power off it and press and hold Volume down + Power button few seconds. Navigate to Recovery (use Vol – key) and select it (use Vol + key). When you see a dead Android with exclamation mark, just press Power button few seconds, then press Volume up button and release both buttons.
4. In stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
5. Select the OTA update file using volume buttons and apply it using power button. The update will start installing on your device.
6. Once done, reboot your phone.
If you need any help with installing Marshmallow OTA on Moto X 2014, leave it in the comment section. (source – Reddit)