HTC starts rolling out the Oreo based Sense 9 update for the unlocked US variant HTC U11. The OTA update comes with software version 2.31.617.2 and upgrades the unlocked U11 to the latest Android Oreo. If you own the unlocked HTC U11 and have not received the OTA update (due to network issue), you can install the full firmware (RUU.exe) file manually.
Check out the guide below to know how to flash RUU.exe file (HTC’s official firmware) on HTC U11 manually. Recently, HTC rolled out Sense 9 Oreo update for the device in its homeland Taiwan. The update comes with a number of new features, enhancements, bug fixes and November 2017 Google security patches. The Oreo update features Picture-in-picture, Autofill, notification dots, multi-display, notification channels, better battery life, and more.
If you have not received the RRU 2.31.617.2 OTA update yet, check it from the Home screen tap All apps > Settings > About > Software updates > Check now > Download. Once the download is complete, tap the System update to begin the upgrade process.
If you are outside of Wi-Fi coverage, or the update is not found due to some unknown reasons, you can perform a manual system update via USB connection to a PC. However, you need to download the massive (1.9GB) firmware file (RUU.exe) to your PC to install manually.
Note: The below update process will delete all information from your phone, so back up data you have on the phone before proceeding.
How to Update HTC U11 to Oreo and Sense 9 Manually Using RUU.exe File
Disclaimer: This guide should give you all the info you need to install stock Oreo firmware on unlocked US variant HTC U11. However, we can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. Do at your own risk.
1. Download HTC Sync Manager from here and install it on your PC.
2. Download HTC U11 Oreo RRU.exe update file (1.9GB) from here to your Windows PC.
3. Connect your phone to your PC. Once the device is properly recognized, navigate to Oreo RRU update exe file and double-click on the exe file. It will launch the system update wizard.
4. Follow all of the system update wizard instructions shown on your PC. Once done, click Finish in the wizard and your phone will reboot. Enjoy!
[If the above method does not worked for you, then try the below method]
1. Enable USB Debugging on your phone, then turn off the phone, press Volume Down button and press Power button to turn on the phone.
2. It will boot your device in to ‘Download’ mode
3. Connect the device to the PC and start the ROM update process again
4. Once the device reboots, set up and enjoy.
[To exit download mode manually, use the volume keys to navigate to reboot and press the POWER button to select it]