The Moto G 2013 Google Play edition has received Android 5.0.1 Lollipop OTA update. If you have not received the OTA update yet, you can manually install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update (build number LRX21Z) on your Moto G 2103 Google Play Edition. The only requirement is that your Moto G 2013 should have stock Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware (build number KTU84P) onboard.
For your information, the Android Lollipop has completely revamped the way in which you use and enjoy your device. It brings new features and new look to your device. The new Material design language makes apps and menus look clean, new features such as Ambient Display, ART runtime for faster performance, better battery saving, Interruptions and Priority settings, new Notifications UI, Smart Lock, etc. adds boon to your phone.
If you have not received a notification message for Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update yet on your Moto G 2013 GP edition, follow the steps below to update your phone manually.
Warning: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. Recommended for technically talented users only. Also, back any important data before installing the firmware.
a) Enable USB debugging on your device (Settings-> Developer Option-> USB debugging)
b) Make sure the device has at least 70% charging. The process is battery intensive and if the process is interrupted, you will likely end up with a non-booting system.
c) Download Android 5.0.1 Lollipop OTA zip file [HERE]
1. Transfer the downloaded OTA zip file to the internal memory of your Moto G.
2. Now, boot your device into stock recovery mode. To do so, switch off your phone. Then press and hold Vol (+), Vol (-) and Power buttons together for a few seconds and release all the keys.
3. You will now in the bootloader/recovery mode. Use Vol (-) key to highlight “recovery” option and select it using Vol (+) key. A warning Android logo will appear in the middle of the screen.
4. Now, press Vol (+) and Vol (-) keys for 15 seconds. While pressing both keys, press and release the Power button.
5. Your device will now enter into “Android System Recovery” mode.
6. Select “apply update from sdcard” option, then go to the downloaded OTA Zip file and select it.
After installing the ROM, reboot your device. Enjoy Lollipop. Any doubt, leave it in the comment section below.