Just like on any Android phone, custom recovery and root access on Xiaomi Mi4i are also indispensable for a tech-savvy user. To install powerful applications and custom ROMs, strip off bloatware apps, boost performance, enhance with Xposed framework, make system backup, your Mi4i needs a custom recovery like TWRP and root access, though it involves some risk.
In this tutorial, we presenting an easy method to install TWRP recovery and root Xiaomi Mi4i smartphone. The Mi4i Toolkit for Windows helps you install TWRP recovery (v.220.127.116.11) and root your Mi4i just with a few clicks. All you need to connect your phone to your PC, download the Mi4i Toolkit, run it and select your options. Read on to know how to use it.
For your information, the Xiaomi Mi4i is a low spec and low budget variant of the original Mi4, but still has better specs. The 1.7GHz Snapdragon 615 octa-core processor with 2GB RAM is capable of managing more than one task at any speed. The 5-inch (1920×1080 pixels) IPS OGS display, 16GB internal memory, 3120mAh battery, etc. makes Mi4i a great device.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Though we are putting our level best to provide this tutorial at its maximum perfection and accuracy, we can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only
Important: As always backup your device completely including storage, SMS, contacts, calendar etc.
Warning: The below procedure will void manufacturer’s warranty for your device.
1. Download the Mi4i Toolkit [HERE] on your PC and unzip the zip file. You will get Mi4i Toolkit exe file.
2. Now, enable the USB debugging on your Mi4i smartphone. To do so, go to Settings -> About Phone -> and tap several times on software version. It will enable Developer options. From Developer options, enable USB debugging.
3. Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable. When asking, allows USB debugging mode on your phone.
4. On your PC, run the Mi4i Toolkit.exe file (you have just unzipped). You will see a command prompt like window.
5. To install TWRP recovery, press number key 2 on your computer and hit enter.
6. To root Mi4i, press number key 1 on your computer. It will take sometimes to complete the rooting process.
Once the rooting process is completed, press number key 5 to exit the application. Disconnect your phone from your PC and reboot it. Now you can enjoy all the benefits of TWRP custom recovery and root on Mi4i (source – XDA)