Motorola’s latest mid-range smartphone, Moto X Play offers a sock Android experience with a 21MP camera, day-long battery with3630 mAh battery and 15 minutes turbo power charging, good hardware specs, style and more at an affordable price. However, Android geeks might want to have root access and custom recovery like TWRP on their Moto X Play.
In this guide, we show you how to install TWRP recovery and root Moto X Play. Custom recovery and root access are two indispensable things for tech-savvy users, though both are responsible for losing manufacturer’s warranty. However, to add extra features, tryout custom ROMs, install certain apps, back up entire OS, etc. requires custom recovery like TWRP and root access on Moto X Play.
Thanks to XDA user vache for porting a working TWRP recovery image for Moto X Play. After installing the TWRP recovery, you can flash SuperSU zip via the recovery to get root access.
Disclaimer: The TWRP image file given below is an experimental one. Please follow this guide at your own risk. We cannot take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only
1. Moto X Play should have unlocked bootloader. First, unlock bootloader of your Moto X Play using the Motorola’s own site here. It will wipe your device completely and void your warranty, so back up every data.
2. Download [HERE] and install Moto X Play driver on the PC.
1. Assuming that you have installed ADB and fastboot driver on your computer. If not, follow this guide.
2. Enable USB Debugging on your phone from Developer options (Go to Settings -> About phone, and then tap ‘Build number’ 7 times to enable Developer options)
3. Download TWRP recovery image file for Moto X Play [HERE] and rename it to twrp.img
4. Copy the downloaded TWRP Recovery .img file (for Moto G lux) and paste inside the adb installed directory.
5. From adb directory, open a command window (shift + Right click and select Open command window here) and issue the below command:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Once your device boot into bootloader mode, issue the below command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
7. Once TWRP is successfully flashed, issue the below command to reboot your phone:
You have now successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Moto X Play
1. Download SuperSU zip file [HERE] and transfer it to your phone’s internal memory.
2. Boot your phone in to TWRP recovery (press Power + Volume Down buttons for 3 seconds)
3. From TWRP recovery, tap on Install and select the SuperSU zip file.
4. Slide the button on the bottom to start the flashing process.
5. After installation finished, tap on ‘Reboot System’ to reboot your device.
Your Moto X Play is now rooted. If you come across any issue, leave it in the comment section below (via – vache)