The third generation Moto G 2015 is a best-in-class budget smartphone, which offers great specifications, features and quality at a lower price. However, Android geeks might want to add extra features, tryout everyone talks CyanogenMod custom ROM, install certain apps that requires root access on their Moto G 2015, or want to back up the OS. All these require custom recovery like TWRP and root access on Moto G.
The instruction here will walk you through installing TWRP custom recovery on Moto G 2015 and let you know how to get root access on it. Thanks to XDA user squid2, he has ported a working TWRP recovery for 3rd Gen Moto G 2015(experimental build). After installing TWRP recovery, you can flash SuperSU zip via the recovery to get root access.
As you know, for installing TWRP custom recovery and get root access on Moto G 2015 requires unlocked bootloader. Motorola lets you unlock your device’s bootloader (read this guide), but it will wipe (factory reset) your device completely and void your warranty, so back up every data.
Disclaimer: The TWRP image file given below is an experimental one. Please follow this guide at your own risk. We cannot take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only
1. Download TWRP recovery image file [HERE] for Moto G 2015 and rename it to
2. Assuming that you have installed ADB and fastboot driver on your computer. If not, follow this guide.
3. Enable USB Debugging on your phone from Developer options
4. Copy the downloaded TWRP Recovery .img file (for Moto G osprey) and paste inside the adb installed directory.
5. From adb directory, open a command window (shift + Right click and select Open command window here) and issue the below command:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Once your device boot into bootloader mode, issue the below command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
7. Once TWRP is successfully flashed, issue the below command to reboot your phone:
You have now successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Moto G 2015
1. Download SuperSU zip file [HERE] and transfer it to your phone’s internal memory.
2. Boot your phone in to TWRP recovery (press Power + Volume Down buttons for 3 seconds)
3. From TWRP recovery, tap on Install and select the SuperSU zip file.
4. Slide the button on the bottom to start the flashing process.
5. After installation finished, tap on ‘Reboot System’ to reboot your device.
Your Moto G 2015 is now rooted. If you come across any issue, leave it in the comment section below (via – squid2)