Samsung Galaxy Note 8 users who need development on their device can now install TWRP custom recovery and enable root. Unofficial TWRP recovery (twrp-3.1.1) is now available for Galaxy Note 8 Exynos variant. However, since Galaxy Note 8 uses dm-verity check (verified boot) you need to by-pass the check. If not, your device will not boot. You can get root on the device via SuperSU or Magisk.
Keep in mind that installing TWRP custom recovery on Galaxy Note 8 is not a simple process. Users should take extreme care, otherwise end up with a non booting device. Also the process will void warranty and wipe data. Check out the guide to know how to install TWRP recovery on Galaxy Note 8 (Exynos) via Odin and get root access.
The benefits of TWRP recovery and root access are quite a lot. Installing custom ROMs, customizing the device, strip off bloat apps, perform full backup of the phone, etc. are some of the main uses of TWRP recovery and root.
Warning: KNOX will be tripped once you flashed TWRP recovery. It will void your device’s warranty and will not get further official OTA software update. Also, it will wipe your device completely. Backup data you have on the phone before proceeding.
Note: The below guide supports only Galaxy Note 8 N950F/FD/X/N (Exynos variants). It will not support Snapdragon variant Galaxy Note 8.
Disclaimer: This guide is for advanced users only. We will not take responsibility for anything that goes wrong.
1. Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging from Developer Options (to enable Developer Options, go to Settings > About Phone > and tap Build number repeatedly).
2. Download TWRP .tar img file (unofficial) for Galaxy Note 8 [HERE]
3. Download the Odin tool [HERE], unzip the zip file and then run the Odin.exe file.
4. Boot your phone into Download mode (Instruction here), then connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable. The ID: COM port should turn into blue and get Added message in Odin.
(If not, install proper driver [download here] on your computer)
5. Now, click AP/PDA tab in Odin and browse the twrp.tar file.
6. Press and hold Bixby + Volume Up + Power button, and then click ‘Start’ on Odin.
7. Wait for the phone to reboot. Do NOT release Bixby + Volume Up + Power button or you will not reboot into TWRP recovery.
You are now successfully installed TWRP recovery. The next step is disabling the dm-verity check.
8. Once you boot into TWRP recovery, you will ask to allow system modifications (do not swipe right). Select ‘Keep /system RO’.
9. Now, in TWRP recovery, go to ‘Wipe’, then select ‘Format Data’ and perform it.
10. Now, go to Reboot and select Recovery to reboot into TWRP.
11. Now download dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip file [HERE] and move it to your phone over MTP.
12. In TWRP select ‘Install’, navigate to ‘dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip’ and flash it. Finally
reboot your device.
1. Download the Magisk flashable zip file [HERE] and save it on your phone.
2. Boot your phone into TWRP recovery
3. Go to ‘Install’ menu in TWRP, navigate to Magisk zip file and flash it.
4. Reboot your phone and enjoy root access.
You have now successfully installed TWRP recovery and root your Galaxy Note 8. Any question? Leave it in the comment section below. (Source: XDA)