It is unclear whether Samsung Galaxy S6 will get official Oreo update or not, but you can experience the latest OS features right now with LineageOS 15 custom ROM. An unofficial LineageOS 15 (Android 8.0 Oreo) build is now available for Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G920F variant, which you can install via latest version of TWRP recovery.
Unofficial LineageOS 15 builds are now available for many devices, but most of them are in its early testing stage. The LineageOS 15 for Galaxy S6 is also in its initial stage, which means you will not get all the features of Oreo and LineageOS. Also, it is unstable and contains several bugs, so it cannot be used as a daily driver [Read full changelog at development page here].
Interested Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F) owners can try the unofficial LOS 15 on their device and experience Android 8.0 Oreo on it. Check out the guide below to know how to flash the custom ROM.
Before start, note that the below guide will wipe all data you have on your phone, so backup every data, before proceeding with the below steps. Also, do not install the ROM on other variants of Galaxy S6 (it supports only SM-G920F international variant).
– At least 50% battery charge remaining in your phone
– Latest version of TWRP recovery installed on your phone (guide)
– Unofficial LOS 15 custom ROM (download from here/development page)
– Android 8.0 compatible Google apps (download from here)
Also Read: How to Reinstall Stock Firmware on Galaxy S6
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
1. Save the downloaded LOS 15 ROM zip file and Gapps zip file in your phone’s memory.
2. Boot your device into TWRP recovery (Power off, press Volume Up, Home and Power buttons simultaneously)
3. In TWRP recovery, select Backup option and create a Nadroid backup (it is necessary to restore your current ROM)
4. Return to main TWRP recovery screen, select Wipe, go to Advanced Wipe and wipe cache, dalvik cache, system, and data (Swipe to confirm the action).
6. Once done and before booting, select Wipe and wipe cache & dalvik cache and then reboot your device.
The first boot will take few minutes. Once done, set up your device and enjoy. Leave your views in the comment section below. (Source – lukasb06)