Installing custom ROM provides extra tools and options, including some that can boost the performance of a device. By installing AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM on your Nexus 5, you will get some useful features that you will not find on your stock firmware such as system-wide application shortcuts, custom toggle to quickly flip phone’s settings and more.
AOKP ROM is built upon Google’s AOSP source, so it is lightweight, no bloatware apps. Also, it allows you to change almost each and every aspect of the OS, from its looks to the way it functions. If you are interested, here is how to flash this ROM on your Nexus 5.
Back up your device completely (Nandroid backup from recovery). Also, back up all phone data such as personal files, images, videos, messages, emails, contacts, apps, SMS, call logs, bookmarks, etc.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. We can’t take responsibility for anything that goes wrong. This guide is intended for technically talented users only.
1. Connect your device to your computer and copy the download AOKP ROM zip file and Gapps zip file to the root of the internal storage of your Nexus 5.
2. Disconnect form PC, then turn off your Nexus 5 and boot into recovery mode.
To do this, press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons simultaneously until you see Recovery on the screen and then press the Power button.
3. From recovery, perform a full data wipe.
a) For CWM custom recovery: Select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”, then select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”. Then, select “advanced”, “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.
b) For TWRP custom recovery: Just tap on “Wipe” and then perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
4. Now, from the recovery, select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the AOKP ROM zip file. Repeat the same for flashing GApps package.
5. Once flashing the ROM and Gapps finished, reboot your device. That’s it.
Note: If your device stuck at boot, boot it into recovery mode and wipe data, dalvic cache and factory reset. Then reboot it.
Note: The ROM is a nightly build and may contain some bugs. Also note that it supports many other popular devices including all Nexus devices, Galxy S2, S3, S4, Note II, Motorola Droid 4, Xperia Z, V, LG Optimus, etc.