Google’s latest mobile OS, Android 7.0 Nougat is now available for supported devices. Developer communities are now busy developing Android Nougat port on unsupported devices like the Sony Xperia SP. An early build of AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 7.0 ROM is now available for Xperia SP, which gives a taste of Android 7.0 Nougat to users.
In the below guide, we show you how to install Android 7.0 Nougat on Xperia SP with AOSP 7.0 ROM. Based on Android 7.0.0_r1 build, this custom ROM gives a taste of Nougat to Xperia SP users. Though this is an early build, most things are working fine, but the ROM is not ready for daily use. Interested users can download and install it on their Xperia SP.
Before start, as you all know, to install AOSP 7.0 ROM on Xperia SP your device should be rooted and latest version of TWRP recovery (TWRP 3 recommended) installed on it. Also, you should install Android 7.0 compatible Gapps to get Google apps (like Play Store) and services.
How to Install Android 7.0 Nougat (AOSP) ROM on Xperia SP
Disclaimer: This procedure will void your device’s warranty. Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
a) Unlocked bootloader and rooted with latest version of TWRP custom recovery installed.
b) Backup every data on your phone. Also, make system dumb (Nandroid backup) in TWRP recovery, just in case anything goes wrong.
c) Your Sony Xperia Z charged up to 80% to avoid shutdown during the flashing process.
2. Download GApps [HERE] (Use packages for ARM, Android 7.0, Micro or Pico)
3. Boot your Xperia SP into recovery mode (TWRP 3.0 Recommended) by pressing volume up + home button + power button after switching off the phone.
4. In TWRP recovery, select ‘Wipe’ and Clear data, Clear cache, Clear system.
5. Now, select Install, select the AOSP 7.0 ROM zip file and swipe to confirm the flashing.
6. Once done, install GApps zip file as well.
7. Finally reboot your device.
If you come across any installation issue, let us know in the comment section below. You can read more about this ROM and discussion at the XDA thread.