The final build of Android 6.0 Marshmallow has been released and the factory images (MRA58K) for Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 and Nexus 9 is now available for download, which means tech-savvy users can flash the firmware right away, without waiting for the OTA (over-the-air) update.
Here is a quick guide to flash Android 6.0 Marshmallow manually on Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 and Nexus 9. All you need ADB and fastboot tools on your computer, right factory image (MRA58K) for your device and some technical knowledge on flashing firmware on Android devices.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow comes with new features, improvements both in performance and battery life as well as smooth out many issues Android users have with their phones. Features like personalized app permission, smarter Google Now, new battery saving system, System UI Tuner, etc. will definitely bring new life to your phone.
The easiest way to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow is by OTA. What you need to do is to go to Settings -> About Phone -> Software Updates and check for a new available firmware. It will take some times to get OTA notification on your device. However, tech-savvy users can flash the factory image right now. Read on to know how it is.
Warning: As the below procedure wipes your device completely, backup any important data before you start, so that you do not lose anything.
1. It requires ADB and fastboot tools on your computer. The easiest way to install these, download the 15-second ADB installer [HERE]
2. Download Android 6.0 Marshmallow (MRA58K) image file [HERE] for your Nexus 5 (hammerhead), Nexus 6 (shamu ), Nexus 9 Wi-Fi (volantis ), Nexus 9 LTE (volantisg), Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi (razor), and Nexus 7 2013 (razorg)
3. Extract the firmware image zip file and move the contents into ADB installation folder.
4. Now, enable USB Debugging on your device.
5. Turn off your Nexus and boot it into bootloader mode by pressing Power and Volume Down buttons together.
6. Connect your Nexus to your computer with a USB cable. Go to the ADB folder, open a command window there (press Shift key, right click and select ”Open command window here”) and issue the command:
fastboot oem unlock
7. Now, go to the unzipped system image directory and double click the “flash-all script”. It will install the Android 6.0 on your device.
8. Once the installation finishes, your device will reboot into Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
Now, you should lock the bootloader for security reasons. Once again reboot your device into bootloader mode, as described above and issue the below command.
fastboot oem lock
Once the bootloader is locked, reboot your device and enjoy Android 6.0 Marshmallow.