Moto Z Play (Retin) in India has got official Android 7.1.1 Nougat update. As usual the incremental OTA (over the air) update (build number NPN 26.118-22) is rolling out in phases, so it will take few days to get the Nougat 7.1.1 update on all retail version of Indian Moto Z Play. If you have not received the OTA notification, check it in ‘System updates’ menu. Alternatively, you can download and flash the OTA update manually.
Moto Z Play Android 7.1.1 Nougat update improves system performance, ensures better security with latest Android security patches (patch level 1 July 2017), and brings features like App Shortcuts, updated Moto Mods, Google Duo video calling and other goodies of Nougat.
This update (NPN 26.118-22) brings following features to Moto Z Play:
Android 7.1.1 Nougat: Brings new multitasking features, more efficient notification controls and improved data saver and battery saving features.
Android security: Includes the updates of Android security patches until 1 July 2017.
App Shortcuts: Brings you app shortcuts directly from your Home screen. Launch actions on your favorite apps by simply pressing and holding the app icon. (It requires app compatibility).
Moto Mods support: Updates the Moto Mods platform to the version 2.0.
Note: Before installing the update, keep in mind you cannot downgrade to a previous software version after installing this update.
If you have not received a notification message for this update, follow the steps below to manually update your phone:
1. Go to Settings > About phone >System updates
2. Select ‘Yes, I’m in’. Once the software has downloaded, select ‘Install now’.
5. Once the software is installed, your phone will re-start automatically.
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only.
Note: Requires ADB and Fastboot driver setup on your computer
1. Enable ‘USB Debugging’ in Developer Options’ menu.
3. Now, switch off the phone and turn it on by pressing Power and Volume Down buttons together.
4. In recovery mode, choose ‘Apply update from ADB’ and then connect your phone to PC.
5. Go to the folder where OTA update file is saved and open a command window from there (press Shift key, right click and choose open command window here)
6. Check your device for proper connection by issuing the below command:
7. If your device is listed, then issue the below command to sideload. (If your device is not listed, install proper ADB driver)
adb sideload filename.zip [replace filename.zip with original filename]
8. After the process completes, reboot your phone.