The much awaited mobile number portability (MNP) has just started in India and will be available throughout the country by March 2011. Mobile number portability allows users to transfer (porting) their mobile phone number from one mobile phone network provider to another, which has several advantages.
Here is how you can port (transfer) your mobile number using the mobile number portability (MNP) in India.
- Send an SMS to 1900 in the following format: PORT<space>Mobile Number (For example: PORT 1234567890). You will get an SMS reply that contains a unique porting code.
- SMS to the preferred operator quoting the unique code. This code is valid only for a few days and you will have to apply again if it expires.
- Your existing operator will check with new operator and if there are no dues then approval will be given for porting.
- You will get an SMS on the time and date when porting will take place. The process is said to complete after 4 days of applying.
- After porting is complete, wait for an SMS from your new operator confirming the switch. Your phone may be offline for about 2 hours when the porting takes place.
A mobile phone operator will charge a maximum of Rs. 19 for this process (Via – TimesOfIndia)