Honor 7X was launched a few weeks back. This affordable smartphone is comes with fully feature packed and offers great performance. However, tech-savvy users might want to unlock its bootloader, install custom recovery like TWRP and root it. These three things are very essential, if you wish to install a custom ROM, customize the device, uninstall system apps, backup entire phone, etc.
In a previous post, we showed how to unlock Honor 7X bootloader officially. In this guide, we show you how to install TWRP recovery and root the device. This guide requires ADB and Fastboot driver setup on your computer. If you have not it on your PC, you may follow this guide.
TeamWin has not yet released official TWRP recovery for Honor 7X. An unofficial version of TWRP is now available for the device which you can install via ADB. To get root on the device, you can use the popular SuperSU.
Warning: The procedure is risky and may brick your device if followed carelessly. If you have enough reasons to unlock bootloader, get root access and TWRP custom recovery on your Honor 7X, then follow the steps below.
Note: The below guide is for Honor 7X BND–L21 model only. Do not install it on other models, as it will break your phone.
How to install TWRP recovery and Root Honor 7X
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. It is recommended for technically talented users only
1. First, unlock Honor 7X bootloader (Follow this guide)
2. Download Honor 7X TWRP from here (unofficial)
3. Place TWRP img file in your ADB installation folder
4. Enable USB Debugging on your phone (Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging)
5. Connect your device to your PC and open a command window inside the ADB installation folder (press Shift key, right click and select open command window here option)
6. Now, issue the following commands one by one:
7. Once done, reboot your phone by issuing the below command:
You have now installed TWRP recovery. Below is how to get root using SuperSU.
How to Root Honor 7X
1. Download SuperSU file from here and save it on your phone.
2. Power off your phone and hold Power + Volume Up to Launch TWRP
3. Swipe to Allow Modifications
4. Go to Install > Select the SuperSU file and swipe to flash
5. Once done, select Wipe and wipe Dalvik Cache then reboot
You are now rooted. You can use a root checker app to verify the root access. Any question? Leave it in the comment section below. (Source: XDA)