The TeamWin team has released official TWRP recovery 3.2.0 for OnePlus 5T (code-named dumpling). OnePlus 5T is a fully developer friendly device, but without the custom recovery, you will not be able to flash custom ROMs, flash zip files, backup entire system, and more. In this guide we show you how to install official TWRP recovery (twrp-3.2.0-0-dumpling.img) on OnePlus 5T.
To be able to install TWRP custom recovery on OnePlus 5T, you need to first unlock its bootloader. You can simply do it by issuing the command “fastboot oem unlock” (details below). After installing TWRP recovery, you can flash custom ROMs, custom kernels and other files, backup (Nandroid backup) and restore the backup, wipe various partitions, and more.
Besides installing custom ROMs, custom kernels and other system files, you can also get root on the device by flashing SuperSU or Magisk.
The official TWRP recovery image file (code-named dumpling) for OnePlus 5T is now available for download. You can install the recovery image file via ADB after unlocking the bootloader.
Warning: Unlocking bootloader will not void warranty. Also, make sure to backup all important files, as unlocking bootloader will wipe files and data on your device.
– You need to install OnePlus 5 drivers on your computer
– ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer (You may follow this guide)
– TWRP recovery (twrp-3.2.0-0-dumpling.img) (download)
How to install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T
Disclaimer: Follow this guide carefully and at your own risk. We will not take any responsibility if anything went wrong. This guide is intended only for technically talented users.
1. Enable USB debugging and OEM Unlock on OnePlus 5T, then boot it into bootloader mode (Press Power + Volume Up buttons).
2. Whilst in bootloader mode, connect your device to your PC via USB and allow the drivers to install.
3. Now, open a command window inside ADB directory (press Shift key, right click and select Open a command window option) and run the command:
4. If your device’s serial number listed, you can continue with the unlocking process. If not, install proper driver file.
5. To unlock the bootloader run the command:
fastboot oem unlock
This will unlock OnePlus 5’s bootloader. In the screen, choose ‘Yes’ and it will reboot automatically. After unlocking the bootloader, flash the recovery image via Fastboot.
6. Rename the downloaded twrp-3.2.0-0-dumpling.img to recovery.img and save it where ADB is installed.
7. Boot your phone into bootloader mode and then connect it to your PC.
8. Now, run the command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9. This will install TWRP recovery on the device. Once done run the command:
Important Note: After running the command ‘
fastboot reboot’, hold the Power + Volume Up button and boot to TWRP. Once TWRP is booted, TWRP will patch the stock ROM to prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP. (Source – Teamwin)