MIUI ROM can be installed on any Xiaomi phone either via stock recovery or via fastboot, but the recovery method may not work with some devices with locked bootloader. The alternate method to flash MIUI ROM is fastboot, which requires MIUI ROM Flashing Tool installed on the PC. However, some users are reporting that they are getting error when using MIUI ROM Flashing tool for installing ROM, so the alternate method is ADB. Checkout the guide below to know how it is.
In this tutorial, we show you how to install MIUI Fastboot ROM on any Xiaomi phone without using MIUI ROM Flashing Tool. This method works on any phone regardless of locked or unlocked bootloader. It is very simple, if you have little knowledge on ADB commands, very technical though.
As always, backup any data you have on the phone before proceeding with the below steps. Also, as this method is very technical, it is not recommend for non-techy users. Proceed with extreme care otherwise, you will end up with a non-booting phone.
This guide requires ADB and Fastboot driver setup on your computer. Refer this guide to know how to install ADB and proper fastboot driver on your computer. Also, install driver for your Xiaomi phone (use MI PC suite for this)
Disclaimer: Follow the instruction at your own risk. We will not be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components. This is recommended for technically talented users only.
1. Download MIUI Fastboot ROM for your device [HERE] and unzip the .tar file. Again, unzip the extracted file until you get folder named ‘images’.
2. Open the ‘images’ folder, copy all files inside the folder and save them in the ADB installation folder, (usually it will be at
3. Turn off your phone and boot into fastboot mode (Press Power + Volume Down buttons together).
4. Now, connect the phone to your PC via a USB cable.
5. Go to ADB installation folder (where you have saved the unzipped firmware file) and open a command window from there (Press Shift key, right click on an empty space and choose ‘Open command window here’ option).
6. In the command prompt, type the below command to see your device is listed
[If you device is not listed, install proper fastboot driver on your computer and proceed with step 5]
7. Now, issue the below commands one by one:
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
8. Your device will now reboot to MIUI stock ROM. Set up your device and enjoy.
If you have any question about this guide, leave it in the comment section below.