In this guide we let you know how to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi phone. As you may know, Xiaomi has announced MIUI 9 Stable ROM update (Global and China ROM) for all supported devices and some devices (Mi 6, Redmi Note 4, and Mi Max 2) have already updated to MIUI 9 stable version. As usual the update is pushed via OTA (over-the-air) and it may take a week or a month to get it on all devices.
If you cannot wait for the OTA update or out of Wi-Fi coverage area, you can also download the MIUI 9 Stable ROM update (Global and China ROM) and flash it manually. You can install MIUI 9 stable ROM in three ways on your Xiaomi phone. Read on to know how it is.
The first two methods (via Updater app and stock Recovery) are very simple, but your device should be on the latest stable version of MIUI ROM (here it should be MIUI 8.5). The third and last Fastboot method is bit complicated, but the ROM version you are on is not important.
Also note that the first two methods will not wipe your data, but the last fastboot method will factory reset your device, so you need to backup all data from your device at a safe location before proceeding.
– Ensure at least 50% battery charge remaining on the phone
– Download MIUI 9 ROM package for your device from here
How to Install MIUI 9 ROM on Xiaomi Phones
First Method: Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM via Updator app
1. Download MIUI 9 Recovery ROM zip file (link above) and save it on your phone’s storage.
2. Now, launch the Updater app on your phone (About phone > Update) and tap on menu (3 dots) located at the top-right corner of the screen.
3. In the menu, tap ‘Choose update package’ > select the ROM zip file that you just saved on the phone.
4. Your phone will start installing the ROM. Once done, your phone will reboot automatically. That’s it.
Second Method: Install MIUI 9 ROM via Recovery.
1. Download MIUI 9 recovery ROM zip file (link above), rename it as ‘update.zip’ and then save it to your phone’s root of internal storage (do not put inside a folder)
2. Launch Updater app and tap the menu (3 dots). In the menu, tap ‘Reboot to recovery mode‘.
3. This will reboot your Xiaomi Phone to Recovery mode.
4. In Recovery, select ‘Install update.zip to System’ (use Vol Up & Vol Down buttons) and press Power button to select it.
5. This will automatically detect the update.zip file and start installing the ROM. Once done, your phone will reboot automatically. That’s all.
Third Method: Install MIUI 9 ROM via Fastboot:
Note: This method requires unlocked bootloer on your phone. Go here to unlock the bootloader. Also, it will wipe your phone completely. Backup data first and then proceed.
1. Download MIUI 9 Fastboot ROM (link above) to your PC.
3. Turn off your phone, then boot into fastboot mode by pressing Volume Down and Power buttons together.
4. Install MIUI ROM flashing tool on your PC and run it.
5. Double click on the downloaded MIUI 9 Fastboot ROM zip file to unzip it. Open the file folder for the unzipped ROM pack, and copy its path on the computer.
6. Open Mi-Flash tool and paste the ROM file folder path into the address bar.
7. Connect your phone to your PC and click the ‘Refresh’ button on Mi-Flash tool. Your phone should automatically recognize your phone. (If not, install proper driver for your device).
8. Now, click ‘Flash’ button to flash the ROM file to your phone. Once the installation process is finished, your device should automatically boot to the new version.
Any question? Leave it in the comment section below.