The startup firm, Essential has released Android Oreo Beta 2 (build OPM1.170911.213) for its Essential Phone PH-1 with various fixes and December 2017 security patches. Phone runs Oreo Beta 1 will get this software update via OTA (over the air). Otherwise, you can sideload this update right now. Below is what is new in this update, download link and manual installation guide.
Essential Android Oreo Beta 2 includes features like Smart text selection, Instant apps, PIP, faster startup, app sign-in, Google Play Protect Security scans and December 2017 security patches. The update also fixes many known bugs like Android Auto and OEM Bluetooth Car Kit Interoperability, data tracking issues, etc.
What’s new in Essential Oreo Beta 2 (8.0.0, build OPM1.170911.213):
– December 2017 Security Patch
– Smart text selection, Instant apps, PIP
– Faster startup and app sign-in
– Google Play Protect Security scans
Fixes and Improvements from Beta 1
– Android Auto and OEM Bluetooth Car Kit Interoperability Improvements
– Data tracking issues for certain U.S. Carriers
– Setup Assistant screen cutoff issues due to status bar
– Further Treble support
– Battery life improvements
– LED notification and charging behavior
Installing Oreo Beta 2 on Essential Phone PH-1 is not a complicated process, if you have little knowledge on ADB and Android ROM. If you are new, all you need to follow the below guide to know how to flash the beta firmware on your Essential Phone.
Keep in mind that, installing Essential Phone Oreo Beta 2 will Factory reset your device, so back up important files and data before proceeding with the installation.
– ADB and Fastboot setup on your PC (You may follow this guide)
– Unlock Bootloader of Essential Phone (follow this guide)