Followed by popular OEMs like Samsung, Essential has also started beta testing latest Android version Oreo 8.0 for their device. If you own Essential PH-1, you can now download and install the Android 8.0 Oreo Beta factory image (build OPM1.170911.130) and experience features of latest Android version on it. If you are interested, here is how to download the Essential Phone Oreo Beta 1 firmware and how to install it on Essential PH-1.
Installing Essential Phone Oreo Beta 1 on Essential PH-1 is not a complicated process, if you have little knowledge on ADB. The process is exactly the same as that of Google Nexus and Pixel phone. If you are new, all you need to follow the below guide to know how to flash the beta firmware on your Essential Phone.
Keep in mind that, since the firmware is a beta builds released before the final build, it is unstable and contains bugs. Increased battery drain with Bluetooth enabled and Android Auto compatibility issues with some vehicles are the known issues of this build (OPM1.170911.130).
Important: Installing Essential Phone Oreo Beta 1 will Factory reset your device, so back up important files and data before proceeding with below steps.
– Unlock Bootloader of Essential Phone (follow this guide)
How to Install Oreo Beta 1 on Essential PH-1
1. After downloading the beta firmware (link above), unzip it on your PC (use 7-zip)
2. Save all content where the ADB is installed.
3. Now, enable “USB Debugging” on your phone from Developer options and then boot your phone into fastboot mode (use Volume and Power key combination).
4. Now, connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable, then go to the ADB installation folder (where you have saved the unzipped factory image)
5. If you are on windows run the file “
flash-all.bat”. On Linux, run the file “
flash-all.sh” and on Mac, run the file “
flash-all.sh” using Terminal. Wait for the process to complete. The phone will reboot automatically.
Note: For security reason, you should relock the bootloader again. Boot your phone into Fastboot mode and run the command:
fastboot flashing lock. Then reboot your phone.