This simple guide lets you know how to unlock your Nexus 6 bootloader. Like any Nexus devices, unlocking and relocking Nexus 6 bootloader is also simple, but requires an extra step. Many developments have already started for the Nexus 6, but to benefit from these developments, you should first unlock your Nexus 6’s bootloader.
Unlocking bootloader is essential for getting root access, installing custom recovery, custom ROMs, Mods, etc. Unlocking the bootloader will normally carries out a factory reset, so you need to back up your data first! Also, though you can relock the bootloader from fastboot, there is no guaranty that it can revert your device to factory state for warranty purpose.
Disclaimer: Follow this guide carefully and at your own risk. We will not take any responsibility if anything went wrong. This guide is intended only for technically talented users.
Important Note: This procedure will void your device warranty. It will also wipe your Nexus 6 completely, so backup every important file first.
2. On your Nexus 6, go to Settings -> “About phone” and tap 7 times on the “Build number”. It will enable developer options.
3. Go back to “Settings” and select “Developer options”.
4. Under developer options, enable “Enable OEM unlock” and “USB debugging” options.
5. Connect your Nexus 6 to PC using original USB cable. It may ask, “Allow USB debugging”. Check the box next to “Always allow for this computer” and tap “OK”
6. On your PC, go to ADB and Fastboot installed directory. Press “Shift” key and right-click and select “Open command window here” from the context menu, then, issue the below command:
adb reboot bootloader
7. Once your Nexus 6 boots into Bootloader Mode, issue the below command to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
8. Now, you will be asked for confirmation. Press Volume (+) button to confirm it.
9. Your Nexus 6 now will automatically reboot. You will see the bootloader Screen again with device state “UNLOCKED”
10. Finally, reboot your Nexus 6, by issuing the below command:
You have now successfully unlocked your Nexus 6 bootloader. Leave your views below in the comment section.